Saturday, December 7, 2013

My Day on The Bay

 
My Day on The Bay

I was in Bay 17, but I couldn’t help wondering what was happening and who, was in Bay 13.  I was pretty desperate for a joke.  When things are grim, my fall back is humour, so even on this day, I was wondering, hmm “Lil….ly Lil…..ly”. . . but then it was back to my Bay, and it was a stormy day.  The pain gripped me like waves crashing on a surf beach.  The froth rolled over my toes and for just a second, there was a feeling of calm and ease, and then I could see another wave coming.  The pain was like my intestines being squeezed like a kitchen sponge and all I could do was moan.  I sounded a bit like a sick cow in the paddock on the farm, but I didn’t care.  I couldn’t help it.  The waves kept coming and the pain gripped me again.  It was relentless.  People were scurrying up and down the corridors, and there was a baby next door who was obviously in a lot of pain too.  It’s cry was like The Count on the Muppet Show . . . “Mwaaa Mwaa Mwaa”.  I couldn’t help but wonder what the problem was there.  So many noises and so many foreign sounds to my usual day: but this was not a usual day.

I had all begun the Sunday before.  It was a sunny day, and I’d taken my School Reports, out into the sunshine to do a final check for all the last minute changes.  My eyelids kept falling, drooping, wanting to close.  It was like magnets wanting to connect, but I knew I had to get this job done, so I pressed on.  A couple of times I felt an electric charge as my arms jolted and my body jerked, just on the brink of sleep, and I caught myself into an alert state again.  Once again I pressed on, finally reaching the name beginning with W.  Relief swept over my body, and I put the pile of papers down, and silently headed for my bed and crept into it.  It was about 2.30 in the afternoon.

I awoke a couple of hours later and my head was swimming.  I felt nauseous and my tummy felt like it was setting up for some sort of Olympic Tournament.  I made a dash for the toilet bowl and thrust my head towards it.  I hadn’t had much to eat that day so the contents of my stomach were fairly bare.  My stomach convulsed and at the same time, so did my bowels.  This was a most vulnerable experience.  I felt so helpless and out of control.  My body was taking over and my mind no longer had any connection to it.  Tears were streaming down my face.  Somehow, I managed to clamour up from the floor using the wall for support, and make my way to the shower recess. What I wasn’t expecting was for the same routine to repeat all over again, and again and again.  This time, though, I was standing, trapped in an enclosed space. The hot water falling over my body was my only blanket as my body expelled the rubbish from within from every orifice.

I’m not really sure what happened next, and it’s still not over; but I spent a night and a day and a night going through this routine, and I was feeling very weak and extremely sorry for myself.  Somehow, I managed the strength to conjure a doctor’s appointment and a ride to town and from there I found myself in Bay 17 in the Emergency Ward at the town hospital.

16 comments:

Jan said...

Do hope you are feeling very much better today, Annie. Sending you big hugs and keeping well away until you are lurgy-free! xx

Valspierssews said...

What a disaster. I had a similar experience with food poisoning many years ago. Good job you took yourself off to the hospital. Get well soon.

Kate said...

That is dreadful Annie! Get better soon

Susan said...

Sounds like hospital is the right place. Hope you're feeling better soon. X

Jodie said...

Oh Annie, its worse than childbirth ! I hear you weren't the only one in hospital.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Annie ~ This is awful and I hope and pray you are feeling much better soon. I'm so sorry you ended up in the emergency room.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Quiltedtime said...

I thought I was reading a episode from a horrible science fiction novel. But it was true!!! Bless your heart, Annie. Probably something you picked up at school. Last year I had something similar happen. I went to bed feeling just fine, then woke up heaving. My ribs were sore for a week.

apiecefullife said...

Oh yuk Annie. Poor you and Callum. Sympathy at a distance this time. Hope you are feeling better this weekend.

our shabby cottage said...

Geez Annie, what a ride. Hope you are starting to feel much better soon.

Locket Pocket said...

Oh Annie that sounds horrendous! I hope you are feeling much better now xxx

Unknown said...

I'd need to verify with you here. Which is not one thing I normally do! I get pleasure from studying a publish that may make folks think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!
Cccam Server

Thimbleanna said...

Oh no Annie! I hope you're feeling much better by now!!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, NO, Annie. I am so sorry. You did not need that, did you? I hope you're feeling better already and that you'll very soon be totally back to your own wonderful self!

Andi said...

Can't believe I have only discovered this post now. I'm so sorry you've been so sick. I hope you are recovering well and looking after yourself.
Andi xx

Sue Walker said...

Oh dear I have only just read this I didn't realise how bad it was I knew about hospital but didn't know it all came on so intensely, you poor thing, you need a rest!

Jenny said...

It sounds as though you were allergic to those reports;) I am so glad you are ok now-it sounds just horrible